Welcome back friends! One thing that I’ve been putting a lot of thought into, done a lot of reading on and watched about 100 too many YouTube videos on, is finding your purpose.
I’ve seen this idea expressed in a number of ways. Finding your purpose; Leading a purposeful life; Deliberate living; Finding your passion in life; Doing what you love; Living your best life; and on and on.
No matter what you call it, I think it all stems from the idea\frustration that so many of us feel: We are wasting the limited time we have on this giant blue ball doing things we hate\don’t enjoy, not learning new things, doing what is expected of us by society, instead of what we might want.
Interestingly enough, it seems over the last year or so, the FIRE world has started to have this epiphany as well. I know when I first started my FIRE journey, the goal was to save and invest as much money as possible, so I could stop working. I was buying my own time\freedom back, but the question of what I would do with that time never really came up. Part of me thought I’d sit on a beach and chillax. Lately I’ve realized that would get old after a bit and wouldn’t be a fulfilling life.
Quest for answers
This might sound familiar to you, I hope it doesn’t, but if it does, here are a few things that have resonated with me.
- The purpose of life is living
- Life is risky, no one gets out alive, so don’t be so afraid to take risks
- If you fail at FIRE, worst case you start working again, which is 99% of the worlds reality anyway
- Joy comes from helping others, which generally brings you happiness as well
- If you enjoy doing something and are passionate about it, you can probably make some kind of living at it
- In pursuit of FIRE, it’s important to not stop living in the moment and only focus on the future
Taking all of that in, I now think that after I stop working in my current career, I know I still want to do something involving people, something where I feel like I’m helping others or bringing them joy.
I’m not yet sure if I want to pull the plug sooner on my career and pursue something in that arena earlier and depend on it to supplement my income, or finish my current FIRE trajectory and then not have to worry about earning income from it. I’m leaning towards the earlier side, but we’ll see. I’ve still got time to figure it out.
Have you figured out your life purpose? If so, how did you go about it?